Mediterranean Volume Recipes
Chickpea and Spinach Stew
Ingredients for 4 serving
- 12 ozs dried chickpeas
- 10 ozs frozen Spinach
- 2 large onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Agave syrup
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 generous pinch Chili powder
- Soak chickpeas overnight in plenty of water.
- Bring chickpeas in soaking water to a boil in a pot and simmer over low heat for about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, thaw spinach.
- Peel, halve and finely dice onions. Peel and chop garlic. Blanch tomatoes, peel, cut in half, remove seeds and dice. Rinse rosemary and pluck the needles.
- Drain chickpeas, collecting the cooking liquid.
- Heat the oil and agave nectar in a large pot. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft over medium heat. Add chickpeas (and cooking liquid as needed), rosemary, bay leaves and chili powder and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and spinach and simmer for another 15 minutes. Remove bay leaves and serve.