Spicy Red Pepper Chicken and Chickpeas
Ingredients for 3 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb chicken thighs, fat trimmed
- Pinch of sea salt & pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6oz tomato paste
- 1/3 cup Harissa sauce
- 1 can (15oz) chickpeas, drained
- 1 1/2 cups no salt added chicken broth
- 1 small/medium head cauliflower, riced
- Set a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Season chicken breasts with a pinch of sea salt & pepper.
- Once the skillet is hot, add oil and then the chicken thighs. Sear for about 3 minutes, or until dark spots appear on the edges. Remove the chicken thighs from the skillet and set aside.
- Place the skillet back on the heat and reduce to medium.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until the onions turn brown and translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the Harissa and tomato paste and cook with the onions for about 1 minute until fragrant. Add the chickpeas and stir for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium, then pour in the chicken broth. Bring the pot to a light simmer, then add the chicken thighs back to the pot. Cover and simmer for 6 – 8 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Note: for deeper flavor, simmer on low for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with sea salt & pepper, then garnish with fresh parsley.