Mediterranean Volume Recipes
Italian Bean and Tuna Salad
with Celery and Tomatoes
Ingredients for 2 serving
- 3 ozs dried cannellini beans
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 stalks Celery
- 1 Cucumber
- ½ bunch parsley
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp White vinegar
- cane sugar
- 3 Tbsps olive oil
- 6 ozs canned Tuna
1 Pot, 1 Bowl, 1 Small bowl, 1 Cutting board, 1 Small knife, 1 Fork, 1 Tablespoon, 1 Teaspoon, 1 Mandoline, 1 Fine-mesh sieve, 1 Slotted spoon, 1 Can opener
- Place beans in a bowl and soak overnight in plenty of cold water.
- The next day, drain water. Peel garlic. Rinse rosemary. Add beans, garlic and rosemary to a pot with water. Cover and bring to a boil, skimming foam off periodically with a slotted spoon. Cook beans over low heat for about 50 minutes, until they are cooked but still have some firmness.
- Meanwhile rinse tomatoes and cut out stems. Cut tomatoes into quarters, remove seeds and cut into pieces. Rinse celery, de-thread if needed and cut into very thin slices.
- Rinse, dry and peel cucumber. Cut cucumber into quarters, remove seeds and cut into small cubes. Rinse parsley, shake dry and coarsely chop leaves.
- To make dressing, combine mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar in a small bowl. Mix in olive oil.
- In a large bowl, mix salad dressing with chopped tomatoes, cucumber cubes, celery slices and parsley.
- Empty tuna into a fine-mesh sieve and drain. Shred tuna with a fork.
- Drain beans well and remove the garlic and rosemary. Let cool for about 5 minutes, then mix with remaining salad ingredients and add tuna on top. Season salad with salt and pepper and serve warm.